Sunday, July 14, 2013

Don't Call Us, We'll Call You

Haven't posted for a few weeks because there's some legal maneuvering going on that's not exactly reportable But I just heard an old song from the 70's on the radio and I had forgotten how clever it was. "Don't Call Us, We'll Call You" was recorded by a two-hit-wonder band called Sugarloaf and it's about a group trying to get a record contract and getting the brush-off wherever they go. It has the lines:

"Listen boys, you paid for the call:
You're not bad, but I've heard it all
Before...."

and then the guitar lick "da..da..da-da-da DAH...da, da da..." while the voiceover says "sounds like John Paul and George". (It's a Beatles lick). I just love the way they work that kind of thing in. So I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it turns out there are a few more zingers. Notably, they touch-tone beeping you hear at the start of the song is actually an unlisted number at CBS records, who had just turned the guys down for a contract. Very smart.

Anyhow, if you've been following my fight with the University, I told you I won a judgement in my favor on their Summary Judgement motion last month. Well, the judgement has now been posted online at canlii.org, so you can read it here if you're interested. You'll see that I've been awarded costs, which theoretically should come to something in the neighborhood of $2000 if and when I can collect it. The University has now turned around and appealed the ruling. That doesn't hurt me: I beat them once and I'll beat them again. But they gained six months on their losing motion, and I guess if they gain another six months is worth another few thousand to them. Anything to stop me from having my day in court.

So we'll see what's next. Meanwhile, here's that song I was talking about...


No comments:

Post a Comment